Monday, March 31, 2014

Artichoke, Asparagus, Mushroom Quiche



Marry You-Bruno Mars

This is a version of my momma's quiche...she has been making it for years and years, ever since
I was a wee lass. I have tried and tried again to perfect her recipe, however it is never
quite the same. I will not give up and I will keep trying to create a bite that melts in your mouth
like her version...one day. In the mean time, here is my quiche version...cheesy, veggie, warm and gooey. Feel free to substitute or add veggies as you like. Experimenting with cheese is wonderful too, I was on a budget this week, so I went with regular cheddar, however Goat, Feta, Swiss all add some lovely flavors.
1 cup of sliced mushrooms
1 tablespoon of soy butter or regular butter
1 cup of shredded cheese
1 cup of artichoke
1 cup of chopped asparagus
 Pie crust (I found some on sale at health food store Wholly Wholesome Organic Crust)
1/4 cup of white onion
3 eggs
1 cup of soy milk
3 potatoes or one can of potato's (optional)
Black pepper
Salt
Garlic
Pre-heat oven to 350, while oven is warming up place pie crust in oven for 4 minutes to soften. Use a skillet add soy butter, mushrooms, asparagus and three shakes of salt. Grind five-ish turns of black pepper and add a teaspoon of garlic powder. Let simmer on low. Take crust out and poke with fork several times, sprinkle 1/2 cup of cheese of your choice on bottom of crust. Put back in oven for 4 minutes. In a bowl, mix eggs with cup of soy milk...you can add seasoning to this as well (I think you can never go overboard with garlic...fresh garlic is super wonderful in eggs and milk mixture), pull crust out of oven, layer with mushrooms and asparagus mixture, add a layer of artichoke and then potatoes (I forgot potato's at store, this is why they are not pictured...still tasted yummy without), add the rest of the cheese. Sprinkle with white onion, carefully pour egg and milk mixture in over veggies...push veggies down if needed. Sprinkle salt and pepper on top. Bake for 40 minutes. I usually put pie crust on a pan, because the egg can frequently leak over and leave a stinky smell in your kitchen and oven. You can always add extra cheese after 30 minutes. If top of quiche starts looking too dark, cover with aluminum foil for the remainder of time.
ENJOY!!!



1 comment: